Monday 21 August 2017

Have you seen this movie yet? Well, it may not be as good as the book, for it's a shortened version, and I tell you, it's better to get yourself a copy and read it with some hot coffee and soft crackers!




Author: Rebecca Wells
Genre: Women's Fiction, Adult Fiction, Contemporary, Novels
Publisher: Harper Torch
Distributor: Books for Less
Distributor Price: PHP99.00
Date of Publication: June 2002
Illustration by: --
No of pages: 469
Hardbound/Paperback: Paperback
No of days taken to read: 3Days
ISBN: 0-06-50225-8

Synopsis: The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood by Rebecca Wells focuses and describes how much Vivi (Viviane Joan Abbott) loved and enjoyed every inch of her life and the way she approached the challenges of her own difficult relationship with her jealous, religious mother. In the same way, although not as challenging as her mother's, Sidda(Siddalee Walker) suffered an amount of emotional disaffection from Vivi at some point in the story, which manifested through Sidda's occasional melancholic bouts as also described in the story, during which she would flip through her mother's scrap book in the same title, her views in relationship with men and eventually having second thoughts about her own marriage with fiancé Connor. Vivi on the other hand, showed some manifestations of the emotional scars she still carries from her childhood & postpartum that basically made the weight of the story.

I liked Sandra Bulloch in this movie, and she's one of my favourite stars. I will admit that it was nice to read the book and watched the movie at the same time. I spent the book in one of my leisure time, one Sunday afternoon, after church, and I think it's a good read to bring with you on a "me-time" holiday. Since I moved to the country and started to enjoy these cool and peaceful afternoons with either consuming junk food, while immersed on a good read, enjoying the cool breeze under the huge Indian Mango tree that stood strong behind the apartment, or playing with my kids most of all.

Anyway, I was quite engrossed with my reading that even on my time-outs or while doing my chores, the story still lingered in my mind, guessing what could have been and might have been with Vivi. You could almost taste jealousy by the love that people around her showered her. And you'd feel sorry for her mother, Buggy for being so broken herself, of being taken for granted. In Vivi's heart and soul, she dearly loved her mother, but there's a cruel coldness that Buggy had for Vivi that may hunt the reader in a similar disposition. What I notice best about the book is that it didn't have to be too sexual to find its momentum. The story alone is enough to make you linger with the characters, envision them laughing at their own diversions and feel their emotions. 

I wish more writers could make story this engaging without ever succumbing to the obvious and sometimes passé strategies that most readers misguidedly devour nowadays.

The film Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood must be a nicer version, especially with my favorite actress Sandra Bullock and may look for the DVD version one of these days, but I'd still recommend the book to people who are looking for different books to read other than the commercialized vampire ones.






Rating 4.5 I may have loved reading the book and may have lingered for the most, but as soon as I finished reading it, I simply forgot all the emotions that I felt with the story.













Ma Rizalina Magcauaus is a former call center agent who handled mostly technical and billing support. Also a former computer instructor, turned English as Second Language Tutor whose passion is in teaching. Took up Business and Office Administration at the AMA Computer Learning Center and Practical Bookkeeping & Accounts through Penn Foster distance learning. Enhanced her skills in computer knowledge by studying MS Office and Computer Software and Hardware Technician. Her interests are in Computers, Client Support, Administrative Jobs, Writing, Blogging, attending Blog Events, Beauty, Makeup, Music, Books, Documentaries, Movies, Food. A little on Fashion, Travel and Food, Language and Culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment